Nothing lasts forever and it's certainly true of your roof. We look at 9 clear signs that it's time for a new roof installation.
Keyword(s): new roof installation
Got a few loose shingles? Do you think parts of your roof seem are cracking or crumbling apart?
The roof is one of the bare essentials of the house. It's the key component that will destroy the whole structure if left unattended. You'll deal with water leaks, cold air seeping in, and all sorts of dirt or debris crashing in your home.
It might be time to replace the old roof for something sturdier and prettier.
That said, many refuse to replace their roof because they fear the costs or the effort involved. How can you be sure that it's time to take the step forward?
To help you find the right moment to get a new roof installation, here are 9 signs you should look out for.
1. How Old Is The Roof?You may want to pay more attention if your roof is a few years old.
But how old is old? Take note of the construction and materials used for that specific roof. This could tell you more about a roof's lifespan.
Asphalt shingles tend to have an estimated lifespan of about 20 to 30 years. Wooden shingles, on the other hand, have about 30 to 50 years before they fall apart. Shingles made of metal or slate may have a longer span of up to 80 years.
If your roof is about to reach those limits, don't wait further and call for roofing installations.
2. Are The Shingles Curling?This is a clear indicator that you need a new roof. Buckling or curling shingles pose a threat to your home. The curls create avenues for water to bypass the protection provided by your roof.
This then allows water to leak through, causing damage to your home.
Curling often doesn't happen universally across your roof. More likely than not you'll see isolated areas, particularly with shingles right by a water pipe or underneath a tree. In cases like these, a patch job should fix it and help it last for a few years.
That said, the problem will spread over a few years. When that happens, it's time to get the entire roof replaced instead.
3. Are You Getting Leaks?Leaks are the most obvious warning signs. If not addressed, there might be more damages and issues that your house will face. Water coming from the roof may start damaging the inner walls and ceilings, for example, or even break down the foundation of the house.
When you see leaks, have the house checked. Don't wait and definitely don't hesitate to call roofing experts at that point.
By contacting a professional, you get the assurance that they'll get to the bottom of your home's issues. They will also directly tell you if the issues originated from your roof and if it's time for a replacement.
4. What About the Ballast?Do you know what your ballast looks like? It's a membrane connected to the roof shingles and uses gravel or other materials to protect your home from harsh sun rays and wind.
That said, a loose ballast has the risk of breaking away from the shingles, causing the water to seep in. They require regular maintenance as well. If you've ignored the ballast for a while then it's time to call the experts to inspect and potentially replace damaged parts of the roof.
5. Check the GuttersAs you clean the gutters of your house, you might end up finding pieces of shingles in there. If you do, you might want to check on the roof. As mentioned, loose shingles indicate roof deterioration.
The gutter will also show how much debris falls off your roof. There might be indications of heavy rocks or branches that could harm the shingles.
Fortunately, cleaning the gutters is a fairly quick and easy maintenance routine. You still have to practice safety, particularly when going up on ladders. If your roof is too high, don't take the risk and simply call the experts since they have the proper training and safety gear for the job.
6. Are There Signs of Sagging?Another thing to look out for would be for any sign of drooping or sagging when looking up at your ceiling.
These are signs of severe water damage. There's the possibility of a leak and now all that trapped water is in your ceiling, pooling up there. This can go further into your walls or cause the ceiling and roof to come crashing down.
If you encounter sagging, have a professional check the roof as this one denotes serious structural damage to the home.
7. Look Out For MossLeaks in your ceiling also lead to moss. If you look at the roof during an inspection and you notice moss in portions of the roof, there's no doubt that you have a leaky roof. Water has to come in from somewhere, right?
Check the shady areas of your roof. One way to get rid of moss in these areas is to use a stiff brush to remove the moss. However, you should also check on the roof if there are other underlying issues that caused the moss to grow in those sections.
In the worst-case scenarios, you'll have to use chemicals to purge your home of the moss. You'll then have to ask experts to locate the leak, drain out the water, then repair the broken the roof.
8. Check the FlashingsFlashings seal the seams around chimneys, skylights, and vents. These protect the home from water, debris, or other potential things that could damage the structure.
If the flashings have no proper seal, this becomes an easy entryway for water to cause leaks. Have a consistent inspection on these for every few years and make sure that these have a proper seal.
9. Are There Valleys in the Roof?When you see valleys in the roof, you need to have the roof repaired or changed. Don't wait further because these are clear indications that your roof sustained damage.
To help you understand, valleys on roofs are signs of wear and tear caused by water sitting and weakening the wood below the shingles. Valleys can come from a storm, ice damage, or strong winds.
If left unattended and unaddressed, the water will continue to stand in that spot. It will soon cause to the roof caving in at some point.
Heed the Signs and Call for a New Roof Installation Today!These warning signs are something that you shouldn't ignore.
Leaving your roof as is will cause tremendous damage to your home. Not only will your house suffer, but so will your finances and any chance of maintaining any resale value.
Do not hesitate to hire professional services for a new roof installation. When you need help with roof replacements, contact us here and we will help you get started.